Monday, February 18, 2008

Cabbage soup


Tonight I decided to make cabbage soup for dinner. I love cabbage. My girlfriend and I have been eating out three meals a day at restaurants in Portland this presidents day weekend so now that we're home in Olympia, I decided to cook up a comforting, affordable pot of yummy cabbage soup. The recipe follows:

1/2 of a large head of green cabbage, chopped
1 large leek, cut and rinsed
2 medium potatoes, chopped
4 tablespoons of butter
5 cups of vegetable stock
muenster cheese
paprika
salt & pepper

Saute the cabbage, leek and potatoes in butter with salt for 5-10 minutes until cabbage begins to soften. Add stock, bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper. Sprinkle paprika and cheese into individual serving bowls and enjoy!

I drank an oak barrel aged Stone Arrogant bastard ale with this soup and a Moscato D'Asti white wine. I cannot say either one complimented the dish very well but they were both delicious. Cabbage is pretty tricky to pair with beverages in my opinion.

No comments: